Hello Beautiful People ❤
I can’t quite believe it’s May already, can you? At the moment, all I can see on social media is Students talking about their exams. This for me marks a year out of college and what a year it has been. I think it can be quite daunting when you’re about to finish college for good (in most cases!) You generally spend at least 3 years in college and it is pretty much where you grow up. To be moving on from that can be bitter sweet, but life is all about progress and moving forward.
There are a number of things I wish I could go back and tell the Zoe of May 2014, but hopefully these will help anyone who is about to finish up their final year exams:
- The Big Bad World isn’t so Big & Bad – stop stressing yourself out. Just be smart with your time and effort and you will be fine.
- Don’t expect your ideal job straight off the bat – it doesn’t work like that.
- Use your student discount – Most student cards last until the end of the year (in this case Dec 2015) use it! A little bit of my soul hurts when I see 20% student discount signs in River Island and H&M.
- Keep in contact with those who really matter – it’s easy to just move on and lose touch with college friends, but for those whom you do care about, keep in contact. Friends made in college can be friends for life.
- Apply, Apply, Apply! – The market is saturated with like minded graduates, you won’t get handed a job. Keep applying even for the ones you’re not so sure about, interview practice never did anyone any harm.
- Enjoy your last Summer – When you start working full time, you lose a lot of your freedom in terms of impromptu road trips or breaks away. Make the most out of it while you can. Though weekends off do lend themselves to some fun adventures.
- Splurge – Give yourself a treat with your first proper pay cheque. Everyone deserves it, you’ve been a broke student for long enough.
- Stop comparing yourself to others. People get jobs at different rates due to different strengths. The right one for you will come along.
- Value is not only based on Salary– take the job that will offer you the best training, experience and value over all. Salary comes in time.
- Set yourself some goals for the year – Realistic goals. That way when you are in my position now, you will hopefully be almost finished ticking them off.
College is an amazing time for most of us lucky ones, where we get to have the balance of excitement and comfort all at once. It can be scary leaving your comfort zone but most of us thought that about leaving School too and look how that turned out. Provided that you work hard, things can only get better.
Good luck to anyone still sitting exams ❤
Until next time My Loves